Corn salad to me is a statement of summer in a bowl – the corn stays crisp but has a nice smoked char. The salad comes together in a snap once the grilling is done – and is an excellent balance of crispy sweet and creamy nutty. Turning to basil and mint rather is a perfect, yet unexpected herbal compliment.
- 8 ears of corn
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 pinches kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 2 avocado, halved
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 small jicama cut into small pieces
lime zest, 2tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon cayenne or Aleppo pepper, to taste
- 3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
1 handful fresh basil, mint leaves and dill, roughly torn
- 1 TBL cotija cheese
- Preheat your grill
- Shuck your corn and remove the silks.
- Grill the corn for 5-8 minutes, checking and turning a few times, or until charred in spots. You're looking for some noticeable char, but be mindful to not overcook. In the process of grilling, you may hear a few corn kernels popping -- a good indication that they’re done. Remove from grill
- Grill avocado halves for 2-3 minutes, cut into small chunks
- cut corn from cobs and put into a large salad bowl, add jicama, cherry tomatos, mint, basil and dill.
- To make lime vinaigrette: whisk together lime juice, honey, and cayenne, and then slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil, whisking until emulsified. Season to taste.
- drizzle in the lime vinaigrette, a few teaspoons at a time. You may not need the full amount. Toss and taste for seasoning. Carefully fold in the grilled avocado chunks. add salt and pepper to taste, lime zest over the top, sprinkle cotija cheese over the entire salad
- Serve with lime wedges.
Leave a comment